Sunday, April 4, 2010

And for the Winners? They shall feast on Cake!

So, when Alek's Cub Scout Pack announced it's annual cake decorating contest and silent auction, my initial reaction was...... well, silence. Then we read over the categories, and along with the subjective ones like "most creative" and "most original," were some cut and dry objective ones like "longest," and.... "tallest." So we discussed how many layers exactly we needed. I said six. Alek said ten. We compromised at eight. Eight layers. And then, rereading the categories and seeing "most patriotic," we got inspired. We'd go for two trophies with one cake. We were brilliant. Eight layers of white cake. A ridiculous amount of homemade buttercream icing, some fondant, and a lot of candy later, we had our cake. Alek had made most of the layers, had helped make the icing, had assembled with me, iced with me, and decorated almost solo. We used a couple of dowel rods for structural support. Yeah.... well.... That icing is heavy. It started to buckle. Lean. We were desperate. Alek and I devised the very elegant structural support you see here. We stabilized it. We entered the cake in the contest. We were informed by David that maybe going for two prizes wasn't in the spirit of the cub scout creed. Hmph.

Well, we won tallest at least!!!! And Alek was PROUD!







2 comments:

  1. I don't even know what to say. Two posts in one day?

    Your cake is a little bit precarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous cake! I love it! How much do you charge per hour? Sometimes I need help.

    ReplyDelete