Sunday, April 10, 2011

Mega March and April Post

Every day I think, "Today I'm going to update the blog.... and grade those exams.... and take the whites out of the washer and dry them before they dry into one large mildewed sock and towel 3-D collage in the dryer.... and clean out my closet.... and take the van load of Salvation Army boxes that have been in my van for two weeks to Salvation Army...." And then I am lucky to get through the day with everyone fed and relatively clean. So feel a little lucky that you have this to read today. And I'll keep you posted about those whites, exams, boxes, and closet - but don't hold your breath (well, except when you open the washing machine, that is).

March ended with a cub schout trip to Brazos Bend State Park. We had a great time, but I was constantly axious when we were near the water. I don't think the kids understand that the alligators are A: REAL, and B: CARNIVOROUS. But, we left with all limbs and children.


Walter has the hiking part figured out.

Nora has the climbing part figured out.





Nora's friend Hannah came along with us. Sadly, we didn't realize that having your own tent, free run of a large campsite, fishing amid alligators, picking flowers, and riding bikes was so boring.


Oh, wait! But there were pop tarts! Yea!!!!!! All hail pop tarts!


Walter made a new friend - and was filthier than he's ever been.








Deep thoughts inspired by the great outdoors....

or the precursor to a little fit.



_____________________________________


Look at this cute, tiny baby's bed head.



Alek took a "free day" from school. We went to a bookstore, then to see Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2, and had lunch at our favorite little place, The Wacky Mongolian. We had a great time and will make it an annual tradition.



Go, Speed Racer!

Loud Racer!



The weather has been amazing. We've had lots of nice family evenings.





Alek has registered for tackle football in the fall. He's in love with the sport. Will be fun to watch him play.
We have made it a tradtion (well, for about three months now) to go to Raoul's on the Friday nights that the kids are at the church. This is about once every three to four weeks. We love it. Live music. Excellent food. And we've gone with several friends. Life is good.

Soccer is coming to a close for the spring. Just one more game left. The girls look great and are finally starting to get the hang of it. Nora consistently scores and seems to really love it. I love that these photos were taken at practice - approximately 30 seconds apart.

Nora is in the dark orange just off center left.

And I still have one tiny baby.

Kind of.
David is clearly planning on stealing him from me. Alas.


Nora was invited to a good friend's birthday party this weekend. Other than his sister, she was the only girl amid about 8 boys. She. Loved. It.


Then on Saturday we prepared for our first Crawfish Boil at the DeRitters'! Nora and I made blue cheese and bacon tartlets. Mmmmmmm.
Okay - you have no idea how weirdly entertaining live crawfish are. (Nevermind that we are about to boil them alive and then tear them apart to devour them.)

It took Johnny awhile, but he finally got the nerve to touch one!

Walter only touched them with water from the hose.
Some of my favorite guys.
Trampolines are fun!!!!! Ummmmmm...... yes........

Those are live crawfish they are bouncing with. Unfortunately I don't have a picture after they added two cooked ones. We kept telling them they were being cruel.... but then as we were all standing around the boiling vat of bright red bugs... it seemed like a moot point. Right?


And while some people spent the weekend on a romantic trip to Martha's Vinyard with lovely sunsets lighting their kisses.....


We think our version is much more interesting. Don't you?

2 comments:

  1. I'm just impressed you separate whites from darks. Crawfish makes me gag. And that last picture is still creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The random pictures of the alligator made me giggle.

    And as interesting as your picture is..the martha's vineyard picture is an act of artistic genius..I wonder how many shots they had to take for that spectacularly spectacular photograph..

    ReplyDelete