Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Most Expensive Nap...


I was so excited when Friend Pen suggested we take the girls to see The Nutcracker. I decided to bring Alek, too, as I thought he'd be very interested in watching the athletics of the dancers.


They were both excited to go. Happy to get ready. Giddy and dancing around beforehand.

We took our seats. Before it started Nora let go with one of those rude, loud yawns. Great.


It started. Alek is interested for a few minutes.... Nora says, "When are they going to talk?" Clearly, I've not explained this properly. Alek says, "When does it start?" I say, "It is started. What are you talking about?" He says, "They're just dancing." And, well, that about sums up my children's attitudes toward the ballet.


Nora squirmed, yawned, whined, proclaimed her hunger, and ended up on my lap before intermission. Alek was better, but had the chin in hand looking resigned. He was not impressed when I told him that no, we wouldn't be leaving at intermission.


So, during intermission they ran around, acted silly, and I thought maybe would make it through to the end. Nora was in my lap and OUT COLD about 7 minutes into the second half. Alek lasted a little longer, then rolled up his jacket, used it as a pillow, and INTENTIONALLY went to sleep. I have to admit... the second half was much more enjoyable for me. Should have suggested they nap from the beginning.


But of course, Nora was perfectly willing and eager to stand in line to get autographs.


Kate, by the way, behaved like a lovely young lady and watched every minute.





2 comments:

  1. Oh, hilarious. Love your rendition of the afternoon. Funny that he "intentionally" took a nap. Ha.

    ReplyDelete