Friday, June 25, 2010

What I do for my kids' educational endeavors...

When you enroll your nine year old in "Aerospace Adventure," a week-long day camp at NASA--- you think it's not THAT far away.... But then the week before you find out your husband will only be able to help with the drive on Monday since he's leaving for a week-long business (yeah, with a camping trip tacked on the end) trip. Ummmmm..... ring, ring, ring... "Hello, La Quinta? Yes, a room for Wednesday and Thursday, please." Uh huh. We suffered through the week on our own.....


Space Center Houston
(By Day Three, Nora wanted in on the action. She went Wednesday and Friday. Alek went for five days. They had a great time, and I bought them disposable cameras on Friday. I'll post those as soon as I get them developed!)




Down the street

On Wednesday, while the kids were at camp, I took Walt to Moody Gardens. We visited the aquarium first.

This guy was photographing the fish, and he and Walt did a silly mimic routine where Walt copied the silly faces and waves the diver made.


I love penguins.

Walt prefers what he calls "Giant Penguins." He was enthralled with this guy. I was forced to follow Walt around as he stalked this poor mascot all over the aquarium.


He touched a starfish and a sea urchin and a hermit crab!


Then we went over to the rainforest pyramid. A "Giant Frog" greeted us!!
Walter nirvana.

We traversed jungles, saw waterfalls...

And discovered amazing new species.

We also got to stand on the "bug scale." Guess which is which.





We had a perfect day. Truly, the older kids might have been a little bored. He was thrilled with everything he saw. And we had a little alone time adventure!!







Both Wednesday and Thursday evenings, we went to Kemah and visited the Boardwalk!

Ready, set, GO!!!
We hit the Ferris Wheel first both nights!






(Pay no attention to the change in wardrobe... I'm not into strict chronology.)


This was the next stop. Watching your 9 year old and 6 year old get on this alone is not exactly the easiest thing in the world.

Next stop? "The Drop."


Again, harder for me than them, I think.



"Mom, they're really high."
"I know."




Next it was Walt's turn to choose. The train! (I was too stupid to take a photo of the actual train from the outside. Oh well. You know what it looks like.)


Walt liked the train. We rode both nights. He was also very earnest in assuring us that the gunmen in the western-themed prison tunnel were NOT monsters. "They're just robots, guys. Not monsters. Mean robots."


Then Alek rode "The Bullet." Three times. Nora opted out.




Afterwards, though, she happily got on "Pharoah's Fury," one of those swinging boats. I will say only this..... half way through the ride, I could hear her above all others on the ride.....
...and this is what she looked like for about 30 minutes after the pharoah's fury ceased.


On the other hand, this is what Alek looked like after he conquered the same Pharoah a second time.


This game finally cured her despair, and all was right in the world once more.
At the end of the first night, the kids played here for about 45 minutes before we headed home.

They were very impressed with the fire juggler and each begged a dollar for his hat.
See? I was there, too!
On day two, they rode the carousel. Downstairs....
And upstairs!
And while Alek tamed the Pharoah once or twice or thrice more....
and while he rode roller coaster again....
We also did a lot of chilling out.
There may also have been some pigging out.
But for me the most fun was watching the three of them hanging out together.
So.... We did the Moody interiors on Wednesday, but on Thursday while Alek worked on rockets and David slaved away in Wyoming.... we had to do SOMETHING productive, right?
Moody's Palm Beach to the rescue!!!
Walt and Nora got a little lesson here in what happens when you drop cheetohs on the ground... near your toes.... with seagulls around. I thought Walt was going to crawl all the way onto my head after the first one swooped down next to his big toe.





It was a rough week.

Oh... and we won't even mention that on Friday Walt and I saw Toy Story 3, and one of us SOBBED like an idiot. And it wasn't Walt, people.

The worst part? Alek has ANOTHER camp at NASA in July! What on earth will we do???

1 comment:

  1. None of that seems any fun at all. Can't imagine ever joining you there in July ;)

    ReplyDelete