So tonight at his Open House, the 5th graders were lining the halls performing as various figures in American history. Abe's sign was there, but no Abe. We asked the kid next to him - Harry Houdini- who said, with a straight face, I kid you not, "Oh he's gone. He got assassinated."
So all of this is to get me to Alek's feelings that both America and Abe Lincoln were cheated out of Abe's full second term. He said he wanted to go back in time and foil John Wilkes Booth's assassination attempt. I suggested that doing so would alter history. We discussed this for a bit, and he quickly came up with the following.
"I would go back in time to a minute before John Wilkes Booth pulls his gun, and I would go, 'POOM' and knock him down. Then I would grab Abraham Lincoln and take him to the future. Then I would tell Barack Obama that he has to let Abraham Lincoln serve the rest of his time as president that he would have gotten if he hadn't gotten shot. So then Abraham Lincoln would be the president for as long as he should have been. Then I would tell Barack Obama he could have his time now, so they would just have to wait for him before a new election. Then I would take Abraham Lincoln back to Ford's Theater just before John Wilkes Booth tried to kill him. Then I would put him back. Then he would get killed and history would not change, but he still got to be president for his whole term in the future."
Dave asked how he was going to convince Abraham Lincoln to go back. Alek, undaunted, said, "He wouldn't want to change history." So, prepare yourselves. If time travel is discovered during his lifetime, Abe Lincoln may just be our next president.
All Alek needs is a plutonium chugging DeLorian and he's set. Very impressive.
ReplyDeleteI have so many favorite parts of this story. Here are a couple.
ReplyDelete1. Harry Houdini's quick wit.
2. Alek's nonchalance about Abe not wanting to change history.
So awesome.
Oh, and you changed your header. I love it. You are so talented.
ReplyDeleteToo funny! I love the logic of the eight-year old brain.
ReplyDelete